I first wrote one of these lists in about 1996. I thought of a new one tonight… see if you can guess which one.
You know you’ve been in IT too long when…
- …you double-click the light switch and wonder why the lights went off again.
- …you can not only tell the difference between Arial and Helvetica, you usually spit when after saying “the A word”.
- …the staff in McDonald’s ask if you want “the usual”.
- …your light reading matter is by Kernighan and Ritchie.
- …you can still remember the cheat codes for Doom, Quake and Sim City.
- …you have to convert sums into hexadecimal in order to get them right.
- …you think of “the axis of evil” as SCO, Intel and Microsoft.
- …a police officer asks for your licence and you hand over a copy of the GPL.
- …you see a printout of directory from an ftp site and know where it came from.
- …when someone mentions ghosts, you immediately think of imaging software.
- …you tell someone you crashed your car, and you really mean you fouled up the electronics.
- …the last thing you “cooked” was a microprocessor.
I’m sure there’s more great examples. Please feel to reply with any more you can think of…